The Russian Maritime Register was established in 1913 and entered in the IACS system in 1969. Main objectives since its establishment were:
- Increase the safety standards;
- Raise navigation safety standards;
- Raising safety standards in the transport of goods by sea and waterways;
- Development of measures and standards to prevent environmental pollution.
Since 1999 the organ is recognized by the European Union in the exercise in accordance with Regulation (EC) 391/2009 and the European standard EN 17020.
The tasks performed by it are:
- Review and verification of technical documentation
- Delivery of documents, certificates and records for ships and floating structures, as well as for marine machinery such as: equipment, devices, products, supplies and materials, cooling systems, lifting devices, containers;
- Measurement of ships and floating structures;
- Implementation of technical supervision of the implementation of agreements and the issuance of relevant documents on behalf of the maritime administrations of international countries.
- Certification of industrial products and production.
- Certification of quality management systems, environmental management and control in the field of labor protection and safety to meet the requirements of ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001.
- Inspection of company and ship security management systems for compliance with International Code for Ship Safety and Pollution Prevention.
- Data analysis and provision of necessary information to shipowners, maritime administrations, port authorities and insurers when a ship varies its class.
- Cooperation with maritime administrations, port authorities under the control of ships in ports